26.3.10

"Working"

Dear Diary,

One day this week I got the dreaded call from daycare (why is it that when I see our caregiver is calling, my heart jumps into my chest and I immediately fear the worst, when usually she is just calling to tell me that Edwin is doing something cute??) Anyway, this time he had run head-first into the front door. Nothing serious at all, but she said it was a VERY loud thud so just to be safe I brought him home. Called the ped, got the skinny on what to look out for in case of head injury (including drowsiness, and of course this happened right before nap time). Anyway, long story short I have to make up a few work hours from home today.

My job is really quite flexible, and I suppose I am lucky to be able to work just 3 days a week and still have money in the bank. I have a "career", I get to run errands at lunch, I get to eat sushi sometimes. But let's face it... I don't really want to have to work at all. I often say that I wish I could find a freelancing gig that I could do from home, but even that is a lie. I don't want to work.

I wonder how many other working moms feel this way, even though they say that they would never want to give up their careers, that they think it's healthy to get out of the house and for their kids to have social interaction at daycare. I used to say all this crap too when I first went back to work, trying to convince myself that I was happy with the arrangement. But now, I feel better just being honest and admitting that I would be totally OK with having no career and hanging out with Edwin all day every day. I suppose there are many women who actually do enjoy their careers. But I wonder how many of them had a choice. For many women, going back to work is not a choice, but just a financial necessity. Because man, if the BHE made enough to support us comfortably, I would be outta there like prom dress.

Love,
Fluffy

5 comments:

jenn said...

When I was pregnant with my first, I honestly had no idea whether I'd want to work once she was born or not. I kept all my options open for awhile until I finally decided to stay home full time. We had a rough time financially for awhile, but it ended up working out. That said, I think that for some women, working is the right option. I respect both choices.

I hope you get your wish!

June said...

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Pregnant with my first, I probably won't know until I meet her.

Anonymous said...

I like to work--part time that is. I enjoy feeling useful/productive and not having a gazillion house tasks staring me down. i also don't do well with unstructured time, so being busy makes me happy. but both my kids are in school, so what the hecks would i do at home all day anyway.
good to hear about the museum! we are headed to b-more for the final four lacrosse tourney and i don't want to watch as much as my husband does. i remember the price tag being high last spring when we were there.

Debbie said...

I just came across your blog Fluffy...and I am so enjoying it! Just wanted to stop by and say "hi". Keep up the great blogging!
Debbie

Muffy's Bestie said...

My kids are now 17 and 13 and I have worked full time their entire lives. Not a day goes by where I wish I wasn't a full time Mom and able to stay home. And the funny part is, I never thought I would want to stay home before I had kids!