25.5.07

Sheep-Jam

Dear Diary,

I am a terrible insomniac. Actually no, I am a great insomniac. If there were a verb form of insomnia, I would be considered a very skilled insomniator. I can lie awake until, like, 5 AM, when I finally fall into a dead sleep just in time to wake up late and waltz into work around 10:30. Counting sheep doesn't help, because when I imagine the sheep running and jumping over a little fence, in my imagination they don't keep going after they get across, they just kind of pile up on the other side. So then it turns into a kind of disturbing sheep-jam, sheep-pile, and the image is just not sleep-inducing.

WHERE am I going here. OK. I often find myself thinking about various things when I'm lying awake. Thinks like money, Huey Lewis, kittens, classy trench coats, etc. But the other night, I was kept awake by this musing:

You know how lots of people call their grandparents by a foreign word for grandparents (mine were Nain and Tide, because we're Welsh, don't you know)? Nana, Nonna, Abuelito, etc? Well I wonder if there are any kids in other countries who call their grandparents Grandma and Grandpa because there is some American floating around in the genes, and if so do their friends think it's totally weird, like my friends did when I told them what I called mine???

UP TILL 5 AM.

Love, Fluffy

1 comment:

akRunner said...

I am serbian, and I call my Grandpa, Deda, and my grandma is hungarian, so she is Nadmama. My sisters and I have sworn my Mother is either going to be Nadmama like my grandma, or just plain Grandma. When in Serbia, all grandparents go by their proper english term, so we can talk without others knowing. I have a friend that is from Australia, and lives in Serbia. Her kids call her mother Grandma. Kind of a long answer to a simple question.